Monday, May 2, 2011

Chicken and Asparagus Spaghetti Carbonara

8 oz spaghetti noodles
2 cups asparagus (cut in 1 inch slices)
1/2 cup evaporated milk
2 eggs
2 tsp olive oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 chicken breasts (cooked and cut in 1 inch pieces)
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
1 1/2 TBS parsley
1/2 tsp black pepper
3/4 tsp salt
6 slices of bacon
1 TBS chopped garlic

1. Heat water in a large pot, until boiling.
2. Once boiling, cook noodles in water for about 8 minutes.
3. Add asparagus pieces to noodles, and cook 2-3 more minutes.
4. Meanwhile, cut bacon into pieces (about inch wide)
5. Cook bacon and garlic in 1 tsp olive oil in a small pan on medium-low heat, until bacon is crispy.
6. Set bacon and garlic aside.
7. Cook onion pieces in 1 tsp olive oil in same pan, until  tender and a light brown color.
8. Drain noodle mixture, and save 1/3 cup of liquid.
9. Mix noodle liquid, milk and eggs with a whisk.
10. Return noodle mixture to large pot, and add onions, milk mixture, chicken and parmesan.
11. Heat over medium heat for about 4 minutes, until slightly thick
12. Stir often.
13. Remove from heat and add parsley, pepper, salt and bacon.
14. Enjoy.

I have grown up loving spaghetti carbonara. My dad would always be the one to make it for us because he learned it while serving his LDS mission in Italy. This meal was always a family favorite, and was always delicious.

Although this meal was always delicious every time it was made, I never actually made it myself. On Friday as Nate and I were looking for a good recipe for dinner we found this recipe, and decided that it sounded good to make. Asparagus is one of our favorite vegetables, and how could adding chicken be a bad thing. 

Now, I've sadly never gotten my dad's recipe from him, so I don't know how similar or different this recipe is, from what he would make. But I do know that it turned out great, and its definitely one we'll want to make again. Nate did suggest that it was a little weird to have the asparagus in the spaghetti, and we may just eat it as a side next time. It would be really tasty either way.



1 comment:

  1. I think this is a lot healthier than your parents'-- I'm pretty sure when we made it with them last there was a LOT of half and half and a lot of cheese... but maybe I'm misremembering.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...