Monday, December 19, 2011

Peanut Butter Chocolate Fudge

What dessert or treat do you have to have for Christmas? For me, my dad's famous toffee reminds me of Christmas so much. Christmas caroling to friends and family especially, while sharing with them his delicious buttery toffee. My dad has simply perfected toffee making, and he recently shared his recipe and tips with me. But I was a bit intimidated, and still am in fact. I know how many years it has taken him to get this recipe just right, and I know that even with his expertise he has undercooked or overcooked the toffee.  I know that new candy thermometers and new pots changed the length of cooking time. I know that moving to California with the change in altitude changed the recipe complete.y And I'm scared to pieces to try it for myself. So, even though I really want to share this recipe with you, its not time for that yet, because I can't exactly share a recipe that I haven't made, now can I? How about I make this promise to you, I, Aimee, solemnly swear that by this time next year (sorry, that's the best I can do) I will have made my dad's toffee recipe and will share it with you. 


Another thing that has always intimidated me is fudge. I never grew up with my mom making fudge because she always complained that it wouldn't turn out. It would be too grainy, or overcooked, or who knows what else. So until this week I had only made microwave fudge, but this recipe looked way too good to pass up. And we needed something to share with our new neighbors. So I decided to try it. And it turned out perfect. I'm sorry to say that I didn't really change the recipe at all (okay, except for using crunchy peanut butter instead of creamy, milk chocolate instead of semi sweet, and a little more vanilla). But its too delicious not to share with you anyway.

Chocolate Layer
1 1/2 cups sugar
6 TBS margarine
1/3 cup evaporated milk
6 oz milk chocolate chips
1 tsp vanilla
3.5 oz marshmallow creme

Peanut Butter Layer
1 1/2 cups sugar
6 TBS margarine
1/3 cup evaporated milk
1/2 cup peanut butter
1 tsp vanilla
3.5 oz marshmallow creme

1. Combine 1 1/2 cups sugar, 6 TBS margarine and 1/3 cup evaporated milk in a medium pot, over medium high.
2. Bring to a full rolling boil, stirring often.
3. Boil for about 1 minute.
4. Lower the heat to medium and continue to boil for another 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
5. Remove from heat and stir in chocolate chips, until melted.
6. Add half of the jar of marshmallow creme and 1 tsp vanilla.
7. Stir until well blended.
8. Pour into a greased 13x9 pan.
9. Repeat steps 1-7, replacing chocolate chips with peanut butter.
10. Spread peanut butter mixture over chocolate.
11. Cool completely, at room temperature.
12. Cut into squares and enjoy.




Do you take a Christmas treat to your friends and neighbors? What do you like to share?



2 comments:

  1. Ohmigosh this is awesome! I found you at AFT and I'd love for you to join my linky party, Crazy Sweet Tuesday, sometime! The link is open through Friday. Have a wonderful holiday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops I made a mistake with my prior post. Peanut butter and chocolate~we love around here! I will have to try this soon!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...