|Grandma Reed's Lemon Meringue Pie|
Grandma Esther Reed's Lemon Meringue Pie
1 cup sugar
1 1/4 cups water
1 Tbs. butter
1/4 cup cornstarch
3 Tbs. cold water
6 Tbs. lemon juice
3 egg yolks
2 Tbs. milk
1 8 in baked pie crust
3 egg whites
6 Tbs. white sugar
1 tsp. lemon juice
1.First off a disclaimer, I purchase Pillsbury ready to roll out and bake pie crust. I have never made a good flaky pie crust and I like Pillsbury's. So bake a 8 inch pie crust, whether you use Pillsbury or your own recipe you can choose. Let cool.
This next part is what I do know how to do.
2. In a large pot; combine sugar, water and butter.
3. Cook until sugar is dissolved, stirring regularly.
4. Blend cornstarch with the cold water until the cornstarch is all dissolved.
5. Slowly pour into sugar/water mixture - stirring while adding.
6. Cook slowly until mixture is clear about 8 minutes.
7. It will be clearer but not see through.
8. Add lemon juice and cook 2 more minutes.
9. Beat eggs yolks with milk and then slowly add to sugar/lemon mixture.
10. Bring to a boil.
11. Cool slightly and than pour into cooled pie crust.
12. Let set.
13. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
14. Beat egg whites until stiff but not dry.
15. Add sugar gradually and beat a little more.
16. Add lemon juice and beat slightly.
17. Spread over cooled filling, shaping with peaks.
18. Brown in oven for about 13 to 15 minutes.
|Meringue browned just right|