Thursday, August 18, 2011

Prosciutto_Wrapped Asparagus

Tonight's dinner was brought to you by what caught my eye at the grocery store.  I went in to the store to purchase Chipotle Chilies in Adobe Sauce for a new recipe and there in all its glory was some beautiful, young asparagus.  I had just seen this recipe Prosciutto_Wrapped Asparagus from my niece in-law's facebook and had also seen a picture of Jana eating something similar so I changed my mind about what we were having for dinner.  I also bought blueberries to make this scone recipe and it was delicious too.

Ingredients

1 bunch of asparagus, trimmed
14 thin slices of prosciutto
Dijon mustard
Freshly ground pepper
2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano

Method

Preheat oven to 425°.

1 bunch of asparagus rinsed and trimmed
Cover asparagus with water in a large, deep skillet and bring to a boil. Cook just until tender, 2 to 3 minutes, then transfer asparagus to a bowl of ice water until chilled to stop the cooking; drain well.


Cook in boiling water 2 to 3 minutes
 
Set in cold water to stop the cooking

Spread a little Dijon mustard on each slice of prosciutto and lay 2 pieces together on top of each other.

This was 1/4 pound and you can see it is cut very thin
Divide asparagus into 7 piles, wrapping each with  two slices of prosciutto around the center to form a bundle.


Wrapped asparagus on baking sheet

Transfer to a baking sheet, season with pepper and sprinkle with Parmigiano-Reggiano.

Cheese

Grated cheese, this was more than I needed so I saved the rest in a ziploc baggie


Sprinkled with the cheese, fresh grounded pepper

Roast until cheese is golden brown, 4 to 5 minutes.


Ready to eat

This was very delicious.  Craig said it was even better the 2nd day. It was also suggested that you could use herbed goat cheese and spread it between the layers of prosciutto instead of the mustard or you could serve it without the mustard.  Hope you enjoy it.

Aimee had asked in an earlier post about a food you hated as a child and grew up loving later.  I hated asparagus and never ever wanted to eat it.  Now I love it.  I enjoyed this recipe, I eat it fresh, I eat it in salads, pasta and fresh zapped too.  I hope you enjoy asparagus also.

Don't you love that I gave you pictures. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...