Thursday, August 18, 2011

Blueberry Scones with Orange Glaze

I had been wanting to try this recipe for a long time, it looked so delicious.  And as I mentioned in my last post I was inspired by seeing fresh blueberries for a reasonable price at the grocery store so scones for dinner was on.  It took a little bit of time but not too much and while these were baking I prepared the asparagus.  So while the aparagus was baking the scones were cooling and than glazed and it all came together about perfectly.

Ingredients:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons sugar
5 tablespoons unsalted cold butter, cut into cubes
1 cup half and half
1 cup fresh blueberries

Orange Glaze:
1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 tablespoon very soft butter
enough orange juice to make glaze

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Stir together the dry  ingredients in a large bowl. Using a pastry blender, cut in the cold butter into the dry ingredients until it looks like coarse crumbs. (I loved this part, cutting the butter into cubes makes so much of a difference to help it blend in way faster.)

Carefully stir in the blueberries, and then the half and half. Be careful to not mash the blueberries.

Press the dough into an 8 inch circle; cut dough into 8 slices, like you would a pie. (I used a pastry sheet - an old Tupperware one I have - sprinkled with flour, it really needed the flour on the pastry sheet because the dough was very, very sticky)

Carefully place slices on a baking sheet.  Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown. Remove from the oven and let the scones cool a bit before applying the glaze.

For glaze: Mix the powdered sugar, butter and about 1 tablespoon of orange juice until smooth. Add more orange juice if needed, to get the consistency you like. Drizzle glaze over the scones after they have cooled a bit. (as you will see from the picture I did not drizzle my glaze, I just spread it on top - there was lots and lots of glaze but it found a home on each scone)


It is even yummier than it looks, with the fresh orange juice glaze and loaded with blueberries.


2 comments:

  1. That is the perfect combination! Looks delicious. Come over and visit us. We have a terrific tomato pie on the menu this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks and sounds delicious...my Mom would love these! I'm your newest follower...enjoying your great recipes:). Would love it if you'd come check out ours too!
    Brittany @ funwiththefullwoods.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...