This was a very spontaneous meal one evening when we got "late night munchies". Nate said he wanted nachos, and I wondered how we could make our own nacho cheese (I LOVE the nacho cheese you buy in jars). We found this recipe and tweaked it a little for our liking. We made some ground beef to go with it. And wah-la (how would you spell that?) it was delicious.
Nate said this nacho cheese was perfect, though I think it still could use a little more flavor. With the flavored beef and the salsa it all came together to be very tasty though.
2 TBS butter
2 TBS flour
1 cup milk
8 oz shredded cheese (we used cheddar)
1/2 tsp salt
1 small can of diced green chiles
1. In a sauce pan melt butter over medium heat.
2. Stir in flour.
3. Stir in milk until the mixture thickens
4. Mix in cheese and salt, stirring constantly
5. Once cheese is melted thoroughly add chiles.
1/2 lb ground beef
2 TBS taco seasoning
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1. Cook ground beef in a large pan over medium heat.
2. Add seasoning to ground beef (add more or less to taste)
1. Layer chips to cover a plate.
2. Top chips with about half of ground beef
3. Top ground beef with more more chips.
4. Cover chips with the rest of the beef.
5. Cover chips and meat with cheese.
6. Top cheese with a little salsa.
7. And a little sour cream**
8. Microwave for 30 seconds to warm in all up.
** Nate made the sour cream look fancy on the nachos by using a syringe type thing, like this
These were delicious and could be doubled or so to make a delicious side dish to take to a BBQ. Perfect for summer.