Sunday, January 30, 2011

Cheddar Corn Chowder

I got this recipe from The Barefoot Contessa, which I got from Jana for Christmas. The recipe makes enough soup for 10-12 people so I cut it in half. I did however accidentally not halve a couple of the ingredients (but I'll post how much to put if I had). It turned out great, regardless of this little miscalculation of mine.

Cheddar Corn Chowder
4 oz bacon
1/8 cup olive oil

1 yellow onion, chopped
2 TB butter
1/4 cup flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper
1/2 tsp turmeric
6 cups chicken stock (I used chicken broth)

1 pound boiling potatoes, medium diced and peeled
1.5 pound of corn (I used frozen, but you could use corn off a cob)
1 cup half-and-half1/4 lb cheddar cheese, grated (It calls for sharp white cheddar, I used mild yellow cheddar)

1. In a large stockpot on medium high heat, cook the bacon and olive oil until the bacon is crisp, about 5 minutes.
2. Remove the bacon and reserve.
3. Reduce the heat to medium and cook the onions and butter in the bacon fat, for about 10 minutes, until the onions are translucent. (I had a lot of bacon fat, so I drained about half of it out)
4. Stir in the flour, salt, pepper and turmeric and cook for 3 minutes.
5. Add the chicken stock and potatoes.
6. Bring to a boil, and simmer uncovered for about 15 minutes, until the potatoes are tender.
7. Add the corn to the soup, then add half-and-half and cheddar. (If using fresh corn, cut the kernels off the cob and blanch them in boiling salted water for 3 minutes. Drain)
8. Cook for 5 more minutes, until the cheese is thoroughly melted.
9. Season to taste with salt and pepper. (It was flavored  great already, so I didn't add any more salt or pepper)
10. Serve hot with crunched up bacon on top.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...