Thursday, November 18, 2010

Shredded Beef Enchiladas

 Ingredients
1 1/2 lbs of round roast (I only used about 1 lb)
1 pasilla pepper, seeded and diced
1 red jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced (I couldn't find a red jalapeno, so I used green)
1 7 oz can of whole green chiles
2 TBS olive oil
Chili powder, to taste
Garlic powder, to taste
Cumin, to taste
Paprika, to taste
Oregano, to taste
Salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste
4-5 cloves of garlic, minced
1-2 cups of beef broth
8-10 tortillas (its typically to use corn, but Nate doesn't like them, so I used flour)
1 large red onion, sliced (I used about half)
1 can of black beans, rinsed and drained
1 14 oz cans of red enchilada sauce
1 3 oz can of black olive slices
1 cup of shredded cheese (I used colby jack, you could use monterey jack, mozzarella, cheddar)


 Directions
1. Sprinkle seasonings, to taste, all over the meat.
2. Sear the meat in 1 TBS olive oil, on all sides.
3. Add the pasilla and jalapeno pepper, giving them a quick saute (1-2 minutes)
4. Add beef broth, green chiles, garlic, peppers and meat to crock pot.
5. Cook on low for 7-8 hours or on high for 4-5, until meat shreds easily.

6. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
7. Add 1 TBS olive oil and red onions to skillet.
8. Saute over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until golden brown (15-20 minutes)
9. Season onions with a little salt and set aside.
10. If tortillas are not pliable, place them within wet dishcloth or paper towels and microwave 1-1.5 minutes until soft and pliable.
11. Pour enchilada sauce in the bottom of a large baking dish. (I used medium size, it fit 6 enchiladas perfectly)
12. Fill tortilla with shredded beef, onions and beans.
13. Roll tortilla and place in dish.
14. Repeat until finished.
15. Add the rest of the enchilada sauce to the top.
16. Cover with cheese and olives.

My beef didn't shred as well as I would have liked. I think a more expensive roast would have shredded better, or maybe I could have cooked it longer. It was still yummy though. I also only put onions in half of the enchiladas, cause I wasn't sure if I would like it. It was good, though I think I like it better without (but I'm not a huge onion person). This is definitely a recipe I'll make again.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...