As Nate and I were trying to figure out what to have for dinner, he suggested homemade pizza. We used to make pizza once every week or two, but we haven't made homemade pizza in at least a couple of months. We just bought pitas from Costco today, so I suggested we try personal pizzas with pita for the dough. I did however make homemade sauce, because I feel like it is always so much better than canned/store bought sauce.
It was so nice to have our own personal pizzas because we were able to choose our own toppings and how much sauce and cheese we each wanted. We especially liked being to pick our own toppings, although for these pizzas we used the same toppings, Nate is happy that he'll be able to have mushroom on his pizza in the future (I hate mushrooms). We also decided this was a perfect amount of pizza for each of us as well. (Because when we cook a frozen pizza or buy a pizza we always feel like 'if there is more to eat, I might as well eat it.')
Pizza Sauce (Please note that for the parsley, oregano, basil, garlic, salt and chicken broth these amounts are guestimates, taste the sauce as you are making it, and add more spices according to what you like.)
1 small can tomato paste
1 can tomato sauce
1 1/2 TBS parsley
1/2 TBS oregano
1/2 TBS basil
1 tsp minced garlic
1/4 tsp salt
2-3 TBS chicken broth**
cheese (we used italian blend and a little cheddar)
4 pitas (we actually made 3 (Dain had one) but have enough sauce left over for maybe 1.5 more.
**Tomato paste is a little sweeter than I like, and so I added a little chicken broth to take away from the sweetness. This little addition made the sauce have a perfect amount of sweetness.
1. Combine tomato paste, sauce, parsley, oregano, basil, garlic, salt and chicken broth in a small pot or pan.
2. Bring to a boil over medium heat.
3. Reduce to a simmer.
4. Simmer for about 7 minutes, (until it is the consistency you like) stirring occasionally.
5. Coat pitas with pizza sauce (as much or as little as you like).
6. Sprinkle with cheese, covering entire pita lightly
7. Top with your favorite pizza toppings. (We used canadian bacon, pepperoni and sausage. Yum!)
8. Bake in the oven, set to 450, for about 8-10 minutes until the cheese starts to bubble.
Having the pita as the crust was also perfect because it tasted delicious. It tasted like a really good pizza crust, without all the hassle or making it and waiting for the dough to rise. Our crust was still soft with a little bit of crispiness on the ends. If you want a crisper crust, try toasting the pita for a couple minutes before you put everything on.