Do any of you use pinterest? Do you remember when I wrote here about the lists of recipes I want to some day try. Well nowadays I'm not as much adding recipes to my list as I am adding them to my pinboard. (If you want an invite let me know, I'll hook you up) I love being able to store these amazing looking recipes, and being able to see their pictures quickly too (totally my favorite part). Also, I love being able to see the recipes that look good to my family and friends too. So, one day I saw this recipe on somebody's board, and it looked delicious and I wanted to make it. So this is my version with a few alterations.
Baked Southwestern Rolls
2 chicken breasts
1 (10 oz) can corn, drained
1 (10 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup spinach, chopped
1 (7oz) can diced green chilies
4 green onions, chopped
1/2 red pepper, chopped
1 TBS cumin
1/2 TBS chili powder
1 TBS salt
1/2 TBS pepper
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 package egg rolls
1. Boil chicken until thoroughly cooked
2. Preheat oven to 425 degrees
3. Shred chicken with 2 forks
4. Combine everything in a large mixing bowl.
5. Mix well.
6. Lay an egg roll wrapper out with a corner facing you.
7. Place about 1/4 cup of the filling in the middle lower half.
8. Fold the 2 outward points and fold them in.
9. Take the tip closest to you and roll over the mixture until mixture is covered.
10. Dip your finger in water (or beaten egg) and wipe over the free corner of the egg roll.
11. Press to seal closed.
12. Repeat with the remaining egg rolls.
13. Grease a baking sheet with cooking spray.
14. Place the egg rolls on the pan seam side down.
15. Bake for 15 minutes, flipping halfway through baking.
16. Serve with salsa and sour cream.
This meal was a little time consuming, only because we had to thaw the chicken, boil water, and cook the chicken before we could really get started. But you could totally use leftover chicken or a rotisserie chicken to make this a little easier. Although the chicken took a little while to cook, this meal was totally worth it. It was absolutely delicious and really healthy too!
We actually chose to only cook up about 10 rolls, and we decided to freeze the rest of the mixture, but I'm way excited to come upon it in the near future and use it for this same recipe, taco salad, quesadillas or something else yummy.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I did!
Do you use pinterest?
Follow me here and if you do, let me know in a comment so I can follow you back!